Technology transfer and commercialisation - Online course
Learn to formulate an action plan to transform inventions into innovations and get an overview of the technology transfer and patent commercialization process.
Self-paced, online course through the internet
Participants learn at their own schedule
Dates:Start at any time
Beginner - intermediate
Online course through the internet: start at anytime and learn at your own pace.
Applied learning based on a real project supported by case-studies and readings.
Why this online course
Practitioners that are involved in technology transfer and intellectual property (IP) commercialization operations need to know the process steps and critical factors that lead to transform early technology opportunities in the form of laboratory inventions into successful innovations available in the market.
- Learn how to formulate an action plan to transfer a technology (IP) from lab to market.
- Get a comprehensive overview of the technology transfer process.
- Know the fundamentals of technology identification, assessment, protection and maturation, as well as partner engagement, negotiation, contracting and monitoring.
Competences to acquire
- Critical thinking. Ability to analyze situations and evaluate data, in the context of technology transfer and commercialization.
- Decision-making. Capacity to establish an appropriate line of action in problem-solving, particularly in applying the technology transfer process to a given situation.
- Initiative. Vision of opportunities and action-oriented regarding a technology transfer strategy.
- Planning. Ability to effectively carry out an appropriate action plan in the use of technology transfer concepts.
- Teamwork. Willingness to participate as an integrated member in a working group on technology transfer and commercialization.
No formal prerequisites in terms of qualifications, background, previous experience nor geographical location are required to enroll in this online course.
Lesson 1. Introduction to technology transfer
- Concept of technology transfer
- Characterizing features of technology transfer
- Technology transfer mechanisms
- Motivations for technology transfer
- Benefits of technology transfer
- Law framework for technology transfer
- Technology transfer offices
Lesson 2. The technology transfer process
- Overview of the technology transfer process
- First stage: create value to innovate
- Second stage: develop the partnership
Lesson 3. Technology identification
- The technology identification phase
- Results of R&D activity
- Invention disclosure
- Interviewing researchers
Lesson 4. Technology assessment
- The technology assessment phase
- Factors to make the right decisions
- Value proposition of the technology
- Market analysis
- Time of market entry
- Protection strength
- Capacity of the research team
- Pathways to transfer technology
- Partners in technology transfer
- Technology transfer strategic plan
- Market validation
Lesson 5. Technology protection
- The technology protection phase
- Overview of intellectual property rights
- Getting the technology protected by patenting
- Checking patentability
- Filing the patent
- The patenting process in a nutshell
Lesson 6. Technology readiness
- The technology readiness phase
- Bridging the gap towards the market
- Development and proof of concept
- Required partners
Lesson 7. Partner engagement
- The engagement phase
- The process for locating technology partners
- The engagement process with technology partners
Lesson 8. Deal-making and negotiation
- The deal-making and negotiation phase
- Overview of the negotiation process
- Preparing the negotiation process
Lesson 9. Contracting
- The contracting phase
- Overview of technology transfer contracts
- License agreement
- Structure of a patent license agreement
- Spin-offs (startup creation)
Lesson 10. Process monitoring
- The monitoring phase
- Technology transfer implementation
- The technology package to transfer
- Monitoring actions
- Disputes in technology transfer
Applied learning project
- Commercialization of a new photobioreactor technology for microalgae cultivation
- Identification of technology: research project on bone treatment
- Assessment of technology: research project on bone treatment
- Identification of technology: research project on bone treatment
- Protection of technology: research project on bone treatment
- Maturation of technology: research project on bone treatment
- Deal making and negotiation: research project on bone treatment
- The Technology Transfer Canvas
- Invention disclosure forms
- Conversation with researchers to identify inventions / script of interview
- Information available to identify inventions
- Technology assessment dashboard
- Technology Readiness Levels (TRLs)
- Preparation of technology brochure
- Preparation of negotiation on technology transfer
- Templates and models for technology transfer agreements
- Carbon Nanotechnology Lowers Cost of Hydrogen Fuel Cell
- Dynapower and Raychem Announce Technology Transfer Agreement
- Patent Licensing: up to $1.18 Trillion contributed to U.S. Economy Since 1996
- The technology transfer process in some universities
- Navigating technology transfer issues
- Improving invention disclosure quality
- INNOVA Program, financing proof-of-concept projects
- Reinventing tech transfer
- Rive Technology, a spinoff to catalyst the industry
Week 1. The process of technology transfer
Week 2. Identification and assessment of technology
Week 3. Protection and readiness of technology
Week 4. Engagement and negotiation
Week 5. The technology transfer agreement
Week 6. Applied learning project
Technology Transfer Canvas
Download course syllabus
Download the PDF course brochure to know all details: objectives, competences, content, practice, recommended weekly routine, learning methodology, credentials, etc.
Preparation for certification
This course prepares for the online exam to become a Certified Professional by The Transfer Institute in this domain of business. Participants have to enroll separately in the professional certification that supplements this course. Please check out our pricing options and discounts.
The Transfer Institute learning experience
Mode of delivery: online, self-paced, flexible duration
Practice-doing approach: applied project, peers’ review, tools
Participant-driven learning: community of practice, facilitator
Educational material (lessons, case-studies, readings, tools...)
Course completion credential; professional certification available
Planning for a successfully learning experience
Discounts, registration, payment, invoice?
We are trusted by leading customers
University of Manchester / Imperial College London / National University of Medical Sciences Pakistan / Universidad Carlos III de Madrid / Universidad Autónoma de Baja California / Universidad de Concepción / Centro Investigación Polímeros Avanzados / CSIC / Fundación Cientifica AECC / Corfo / Onedose Pharma / Libelium
"The program systematises the approach to technology transfer and gives value by solving practical cases. I highly recommend it for all professionals involved in technology transfer"